If you're thinking about scanning your documents and/or sending them to off-site storage, it's useful to quickly estimate how many documents you actually have without having to leaf through them all – this is how you will be charged.
Here's a handy guide to determine how much paper you actually have. These estimates do not include anything that may be holding your documents together, such as paper clips, folders, bindings, etc.
- Stacks of Paper: 150-180 pages per inch
- Drawings & Plans (unrolled/unfolded): 125-150 pages per inch
- 1" Binders: 250-275 pages
- 2" Binders: 450-480 pages
- 3" Binders: 650-670 pages
- 4" Binders: 750-780 pages
- 5" Binders: 950-1,050 pages
- Copy Paper Box (17.5" x 9.75" x 11.5"): 1,800-2,200 pages per box
- Bankers Box (16" x 10" x 12"): 1,800-2,000 pages per box
- Vertical Filing Cabinet (2-5 drawers): 2,500 pages per drawer
- Lateral Filing Cabinet (2-4 drawers): 5,000-6,000 pages per drawer
- Linear Foot (shelving): 1,500 pages per horizontal foot
- Photographs: 100-125 per inch
Contact us for help estimating your paper and how many documents need to be scanned
Many school districts have reclaimed space, achieved instant document retrieval and ensure FERPA, FOIA and HIPAA compliance by scanning student records into document management software like EMC ApplicationXtender. Now, school districts can achieve the same benefits and more by applying these document best practices into their Human Resources Department.
HR Document Scanning & Document Management Software
In addition to stopping the paper from getting out of control, expanding this practice into HR allows school districts three advantages for management of employee information:
- School districts can find both active and inactive employee files on paper or film (a backfile) much faster (seconds vs. hours or days)
- Incoming adjunct certification is more easily and thoroughly tracked
- New employee on-boarding is more quickly achieved with less errors and lost documents using workflow automation software (a document management software module)
Workflow Automation for New Employee On-Boarding
During the hiring process for new teachers and staff, workflow automation software combined with document scanning or using e-forms helps you capture all employee information so you can get them set up in payroll and provide the appropriate security access.
Specifically, workflow automation software helps streamline the capture of the following documentation:
- Employment applications
- Drivers license copies
- I-9s and W-9s
- State tax forms
- Direct deposit authorizations
- Healthcare and 401(k) benefits enrollment
- Policy acknowledgements
Automated Retention Scheduling
Your document management software will also provide the automated retention scheduling so that you keep these documents for as long as you’re legally required to do so, and that they are destroyed when these requirements are fulfilled.
No Document Left Behind
By streamlining the employee on-boarding process and searching for active/inactive employee files and adjunct certifications, you can spend your time on more important things – like running a top school.
Further efficiency gains can also be achieved by exploring:
- Invoice processing automation: gain visibility into all money owed and pay your bills on time – also starts with scanning and document management software
- E-forms: eliminate paper at the source and capture signatures and IDs electronically
- Cloud document management: achieve instant access from anywhere, including mobile devices, more cost-effectively than with software
Contact us to learn more about document scanning & workflow automation for school districts